Re: Windows 7 VM CPU core count

Now I seem to have a worse problem. When I set the number of sockets to 1 and specify, for example, 4 cores and 1 thread per core, Windows 7 appears to see just a single-core processor.

I noticed something else too. KVM also doesn't have a CPU listing for the AMD FX series of processors which were definitely around well before Debian/Stretch. However my host with an FX processor shows up as an Opteron G4 while the Ryzen shows up as an Opteron G3.

I checked with a Windows 7 VM set up from scratch and you seem to be correct. A quick check suggests that Windows 10 has the same limitation.

My real problem was that I needed to manually configure the topology to set the CPU count, cores and threads. Unfortunately the version of KVM I am using (Debian/Stretch) doesn't recognize the Ryzen processor so I seem to be limited to one thread per core. Presumably that will be fixed in Debian/Buster.

Thanks for your help!