Re: kvm on Ubuntu 8.04 running windows xp sp3: corrupts file system on shutdown?

Dustin Kirkland wrote:

I am working on a backport of kvm-84 (kernel and userspace) to Ubuntu
8.04 LTS.  You can try the kvm packages in the following personal
package archive (PPA):
 * https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-virt/+archive/ppa

Or, you can wait about a week and these packages should be uploaded to
the hardy-backports archive, and you can install from there, rather
than from the PPA.

Please install both kvm and kvm-source to update both user and kernel
space.  (Note that these packages contain cherry picks of the qcow2
corruption patches.)

That sounds great!

I'm wondering why I still got corruption with the RAW image format, though? I notice there is something called "IO thread" in config, which config by default turns off. Is that an asynchronizer of some sort? And, if so, is it on by deafult in 8.04? I'm trying to suss out what the root cause might be. Also, I can't believe that I'm the only one with these problems? Although I hear on the interwebs that other people are complaining, too, and the usually get the reply "that's probably because you yank power" -- which I'm definitely not doing.

Sincerely,

jw

--

 Revenge is the most pointless and damaging of human desires.