Re: KVM and 32-bit hosts -- still supposed to work?

On 01.07.2009, at 11:05, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/01/2009 08:57 AM, Duck wrote:
I'm on 32-bit Linux, kernel 2.6.27.7-smp. When I moved from kvm-83 to kvm-87 plus kvm-kmod-devel-87, my Linux host VMs ran fine. But my XP0 host simply ran too slowly to be useable at all, and my Windows 7 host wouldn't boot -- just crashed and restarted early in the boot process.

Are you sure kvm was loaded? "too slowly" often means qemu is emulating.

Check 'info kvm' in the monitor.

Seeing the module version "-devel-87" I tried kvm-87 with the old kvm-83 kernel module (I have no idea whether this is supposed to work) and my XP image worked better, but a task such as opening Device Manager (to see if any hardware has changed) took several _minutes_ (it should take a second or so)) and still didn't work correctly.

Kvm-87 with the -83 kernel module also persuaded Windows 7 to boot, to report "new devices installed', and thereafter to work with kvm-87 plus kvm-kmod-devel-87. (Don't you love Windows's driver inflexibility :-)

So I presume that this is all down to virtual hardware changes since -83.

Before I rebuild my tired old XP0 image, however, and adopt kvm-87 for evermore, I just want to know if it's _supposed_ to work on 32- bit (Avi's post about the broken 32-bit compile of -87 due to no 32- bit test build system seemed to imply that 32-bit hosts are considered passe).

Or should I stick with the older kvm until I upgrade my OS to 64-bit?

kvm is supported on 32-bit hosts. Unfortunately since moving to kvm- autotest I no longer test on 32-bit, I'll try to improve the situation there.

If someone has spare cycles and can run kvm-autotest on their hardware, that would improve kvm quality measurably.

Can't you just run the tests in a 32 bit VM? :)

Alex