Re: [RFC v2 2/3] vfio-ccw: Prevent quiesce function going into an infinite loop

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 09:38:37 -0400
Farhan Ali <alifm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/15/2019 04:13 AM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 10:38:50 -0400
> > Farhan Ali <alifm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (...)
> >
> >> Thinking a little bit more about EIO, if the return code is EIO then it
> >> means we have exhausted all our options with cancel_halt_clear and the
> >> subchannel/device is still status pending, right?
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> >> I think we should still continue to try and disable the subchannel,
> >> because if not then the subchannel/device could in some point of time
> >> come back and bite us. So we really should protect the system from this
> >> behavior.
> >
> > I think trying to disable the subchannel does not really hurt, but I
> > fear it won't succeed in that case...
> >

> >> I think for EIO we should log an error message, but still try to
> >> continue with disabling the subchannel. What do you or others think?
> >
> > Logging an error may be useful (it's really fouled up at that time), but...

> > ...there's a good chance that we'd get -EBUSY here, which would keep us
> > in the loop. We probably need to break out after we got -EIO from
> > cancel_halt_clear, regardless of which return code we get from the
> > disable.
>
> Okay, for EIO we can log an error message and break out of the loop.
>
> I will send a v3. Are you going to queue patch 1 or patch 3 soon? If you
> are then I will just send this patch separately.

Yes, please do send it separately. I'm currently testing patch 1 and 3
on top of my patchset, will queue either with or without the halt/clear
patches proper, depending on how soon I get acks/r-bs (hint, hint :)