Re: AMD SEV Portability and Usability Concerns

My goal was to increase portability between hypervisors, hypervisor
versions and possibly even race conditions. The problem was that the
measurement of memory provided through KVM_SEV_LAUNCH_UPDATE_DATA was
order dependent. I was hoping to move to an ordering that was less
sensitive to userspace.

My idea was to have the kernel internally batch and then reorder the
calls to the firmware (LAUNCH_UPDATE_DATA) according to the guest
physical address. However, this is then fragile depending on the guest
physical address, which the hypervisor also controls. So doing this
does not actually increase portability (though it might help with race
conditions, which is less of a concern).