Re: Regression with nested HyperV VM

On 26/03/19 21:50, Jim Mattson wrote:
> enter SMM;
> save the following internal to the processor:
> CR4.VMXE
> an indication of whether the logical processor was in VMX operation
> (root or non-root)
> CR4.VMXE ← 0;
> perform ordinary SMI delivery:
> save processor state in SMRAM;
>
> It looks like vmx->nested.smm.guest_mode is the "indication of whether
> the logical processor was in VMX operation (root or non-root)," but I
> don't see where the VMXE bit is saved.

We store it in SMRAM and not do this part:

IF VMXE = 1 in CR4 image in SMRAM
THEN fail and enter shutdown state;

This is only for historical reasons; we got it wrong when first adding
support for nested+SMM, it remained like that ever since, and it would
be hard to change it without potentially breaking KVM_GET/SET_NESTED_STATE.

Paolo