Re: KVM incompatible with multipath?

infernix wrote:
Hi,

I've got an Equallogic iSCSI box with 3x1GBit nics on my storage
network. I also have a server with 4 nics of which 3 are connected to
the storage network with 3x1GBit.

On this host, open-iscsi is running and connecting to the SAN over 3 interfaces. I'm seeing /dev/sdb, sdc and sdd, which are all the same harddisk (same WWID).

With multipath I combine them to one disk to get a nice boost in
performance. This works perfectly fine (and very speedy) on the host.
Relevant multipath.conf data:

device {
 vendor "EQLOGIC"
 product "100E-00"
 path_grouping_policy multibus
 getuid_callout "/lib/udev/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
 features "1 queue_if_no_path"
 path_checker readsector0
 failback immediate
 path_selector "round-robin 0"
 rr_weight uniform
 rr_min_io 128
}

The problem with KVM (version 87) is that KVM cannot make use of the
multipath device in /dev/mapper.

If I boot a debootstrapped Debian Lenny KVM guest and configure it with
-hda /dev/mapper/my-multipathed-iscsi-disk, I cannot mount the root
partition. It'll complain about "Invalid target".

How do you get the disk image onto /dev/mapper/my-multipathed-iscsi-disk?

You need to create a partition table and setup grub in order to be able to use something as -hda. You don't get that automatically with debootstrap.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori