Re: Guest shutdown hang host machine.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:16:03 +0200
Alex K <blessnown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> Problem is our host is hangs for good and only ipmi reset can help in this case. We tried
> several kernels (upstream, mainline, old stable) even tested other distributions to no
> avail. Do you know if I can look at anything particular in debug logs to more closely
> identify problem?

Being a server system, you can probably get a serial console which is
much better for debugging these sorts of things.  It's not clear if
your screen shots are a succession from a single error or multiple
instances of the error.  The first shows hard lockups followed by
softlockups.  Softlocks are not particularly surprising after a
hardlock.  There are a few kernel options that might be helpful for
debugging:

        hardlockup_all_cpu_backtrace=
                        [KNL] Should the hard-lockup detector generate
                        backtraces on all cpus.
                        Format: <integer>

        nmi_watchdog=   [KNL,BUGS=X86] Debugging features for SMP kernels
                        Format: [panic,][nopanic,][num]
                        Valid num: 0 or 1
                        0 - turn hardlockup detector in nmi_watchdog off
                        1 - turn hardlockup detector in nmi_watchdog on
                        When panic is specified, panic when an NMI watchdog
                        timeout occurs (or 'nopanic' to override the opposite
                        default). To disable both hard and soft lockup detectors,
                        please see 'nowatchdog'.
                        This is useful when you use a panic=... timeout and
                        need the box quickly up again.

                        These settings can be accessed at runtime via
                        the nmi_watchdog and hardlockup_panic sysctls.

        softlockup_panic=
                        [KNL] Should the soft-lockup detector generate panics.
                        Format: <integer>

                        A nonzero value instructs the soft-lockup detector
                        to panic the machine when a soft-lockup occurs. This
                        is also controlled by CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_SOFTLOCKUP_PANIC
                        which is the respective build-time switch to that
                        functionality.

        softlockup_all_cpu_backtrace=
                        [KNL] Should the soft-lockup detector generate
                        backtraces on all cpus.
                        Format: <integer>

        panic=          [KNL] Kernel behaviour on panic: delay <timeout>
                        timeout > 0: seconds before rebooting
                        timeout = 0: wait forever
                        timeout < 0: reboot immediately
                        Format: <timeout>

I'd probably start with:

nmi_watchdog=panic panic=5

So that initial hard lockup should generate a panic and reboot after 5
seconds.  You'll really want a serial console to capture that panic.
You'll probably also want to specify exactly which kernel you're using,
and being an upstream list, the latest upstream kernel is the most
relevant.  Thanks,

Alex