Re: How to debug a triple fault at startup?

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Michael Crawford<mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I get as far as the "Press F12 for a boot menu", and then the guest
> reboots.  I have gotten as far as figuring out that there is a triple
> fault in my guest's code, but I don't know why.
>
> Can anyone give me a clue as to how to debug it?

I haven't actually tried it yet, but here is what I think will work:

I'll look up the exception vector table in the x86 documentation -
there must be hundreds of web pages that discuss it - and then set a
breakpoint at the fault handler.

When my breakpoint is hit, I'll look on the stack for the exception
frame, and find the address that generated it, and the address that
that instruction was trying to access.

I've been pondering my boot code for so long that those alone ought to
enlighten me.  No doubt I'm setting something up wrong, but I'll be
damned if I know what.

(One can debug within the guest by giving, say "-gdb tcp::45000" on
the qemu command line, and then "target remote tcp::45000" within
gdb.)

Thine In Utter Torment,

MIke
--