Re: Checking guest memory pages changes from host userspace

On 21.06.2009, at 17:51, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/19/2009 09:09 PM, Passera, Pablo R wrote:
Hi list,
I need to monitor some guest memory pages. I need to know if the information in these pages was changed. For this, I was thinking to mark the guest memory pages in some way (like write protecting them) so a page fault is generated. Then manage this fault inside qemu. Is there some API in libkvm that allows me to do this?

You can use the dirty memory logging API. vga uses this to track which regions of the screen have changed, and live migration uses it to allow the guest to proceed while copying its memory to the other node. It works exactly by write protecting guest memory and trapping the resultant fault.

I stumbled across this on my ppc implementation: Is there an obvious reason we don't use the pte's dirty bit?

I don't know which operation is more frequent - writing into dirty mapped memory or reading the dirty map. And I have no idea how long it would take to find out dirty pages...

Alex