Re: ESX on KVM requirements

On 19.06.2009, at 03:19, Ben Sanders wrote:

I needed nested paging to have things work, so phenom was mandatory.

Also, because I was running things on a Phenom, I figured the safest bet is to be truthful in telling the guest what it's running on. Also ESX checked
for specific cpuid revisions and I knew the CPU I was on is safe.

If you get it running in debug mode, do -serial stdio and send me the output
so I can see if I remember the cure ;)

Alex

I cut out the mailing list since people probably don't want my attachment.

I switched to a phenom 9950 to see if i'd have some better luck.

I'm runing kvm v86 with nested=1 and -enable nesting on Ubuntu 9.04

Here's the command i'm running.  Setting the nic model was necessary
to get it to install.
qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu phenom -enable-nesting -hda ~/esx.img -m 1024
-net nic,model=e1000 -net user

Attached is the debug output.  Thanks for your help.

Looks like you're missing my VMware interface extension patches that implement TSC fake value passing to the guest? The series was called "VMware ESX guest bringup (partial)".

Also, try to keep the ML in CC and simply pastebin instead of attaching the log file. There are probably more people out there who have the same question ;-).

Alex