Re: [Autotest] Adding kvm_subprocess

----- "Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues" <lmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 07:58 -0400, Michael Goldish wrote:
> > ----- lookkas@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > Reviewers: lmr,
> > >
> > > Message:
> > > Hi Michael, this is my first review of your patch series. The
> module
> > > kvm_subprocess looks pretty good and carefully written, I made
> some
> > > minor comments (some of them are more of general wonderings).
> > >
> > > After reviewing this, I began to think seriously about replacing
> > > pexpect by this library.
> >
> > Note that pexpect has features that kvm_subprocess doesn't -- if I
> remember
> > correctly it can log the output to a user specified text file, and
> uses
> > an internal buffer that may allow for some more flexibility in
> reading from
> > the STDOUT/STDERR pipe, and maybe other things.
> > The KVM test doesn't need these things, but if you're seriously
> considering
> > using kvm_subprocess outside the KVM test, make sure you don't need
> these
> > things either.
>
> That's precisely the point, pexpect and pxssh are external gpl
> modules
> that we bundled to be able to use a python library to do interaction
> with interactive programs. For most of the tests we don't need the
> fancy
> stuff of pexpect, so it'd be nice to have a solution grown inside
> autotest.
>
> I will see if I can write a ssh subclass of kvm_spawn, make the
> necessary arrangements and verify if everything is working OK.

kvm_subprocess is a little weird in that it does two different things --
handling of both non-interactive subprocesses and SSH sessions.
With this approach I don't think we need to write an SSH subclass of
kvm_spawn because it already does a lot of SSH stuff.
If we do any subclassing at all -- I suggest that we remove all the SSH
stuff from kvm_spawn and put it in a subclass somehow, so that kvm_spawn
natively only handles non-interactive subprocess (with _tail(),
get_output(), get_status() etc), and the subclass does everything else
(read_up_to_prompt(), get_command_status_output() etc).  ssh_login()
can remain an external function that creates and returns a kvm_spawn
object.
This will have to be done carefully because each 'user' of the kvm_spawn
server needs a named pipe of its own, which will have to be handled by
the constructor.
If you think this is a good idea I'd rather make the necessary changes
to kvm_subprocess myself.
Does this make sense to you, or did I misunderstand what you meant by
writing an SSH subclass?

> > > Thank you very much for your work on this,
> > >

> > > http://codereview.appspot.com/79042/diff/1/4
> > > File client/tests/kvm/kvm_subprocess.py (right):
> > >
> > > http://codereview.appspot.com/79042/diff/1/4#newcode142
> > > Line 142: except:
> > > We probably want to catch AssertionError and OsError here.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > (It seemed harmless to catch all exceptions there because setting
> those
> > descriptors to None eventually leads to failure, but still I agree
> it's
> > safer to catch only the expected ones.)
>
> Yes, I also agree that it is fairly harmless. Pointed out just for
> the
> sake of the review :)
>
> > > http://codereview.appspot.com/79042/diff/1/4#newcode215
> > > Line 215: """
> > > Would it be possible to distinguish stdout and stderr when
> reading
> > > from the process?
> >
> > I don't think so.
> > In what cases do we want to distinguish stdout and stderr?
> > Does pexpect make the distinction?
>
> It's usually nice to tell the difference between the two of them for
> debugging purposes, but nothing I'd consider critical. pexpect uses a
> similar approach (non blocking read using select), and I realize it
> doesn't.
>
> > > http://codereview.appspot.com/79042/diff/1/4#newcode238
> > > Line 238: pass
> > > The function sends by default SIGTERM to the process. In such
> cases,
> > > what do we do with misbehaving (hang) processes? Just leave it as
> it
> > > is
> > > and close other file descriptors? Wouldn't be interesting to send
> > > SIGKILL if another signal doesn't work?
> >
> > I wanted to keep close() simple (unlike VM.destroy()).
> > I can add a timeout however and a parameter to control whether
> SIGKILL
> > should be sent automatically to misbehaving processes.
>
> That sounds good, and I don't think it will over complicate the
> function.
>
> > BTW, I wonder if we should add something like a 'close_command'
> parameter,
> > which will specify a command to send before closing the process.
> > In the case of SSH/Telnet this should be "exit", and in the case of
> QEMU
> > it should be disabled.
> > If we do that, however, I'd rather do it in a future patch, because
> I want
> > it to undergo some testing.
>
> No rush, let's keep the whole module under testing a little bit more.

OK.
I try to test it as much as possible by using it exclusively instead of
the previous run_bg() and kvm_spawn.