Re: Is it possible to merge two hyper-threaded CPUs for a VM?

On 11.08.2018 18:13, Cheyenne Forbes wrote:
> In KVM/QEMU, is it possible to merge two hyper-threaded CPUs for them
> to appear as one and give the performance of a non-hyper-threaded CPU?

You mean, that you have hyper threading enabled for your CPU - so in
your hypervisor you have two logical CPUs - and want only one VCPU
inside the guest, however with the combined performance of both logical
CPUs?

As a VCPU is just a thread in the hypervisor, which is scheduled on one
logical CPU, it will only make use of one logical CPU at a time. The
other logical CPU will execute anything else. Of course, if the other
logical CPU is idle you might get more performance for the busy logical
CPU. But I guess it is in general not possible.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb