Re: [GIT PULL 00/19] KVM: s390: Features for 4.19

On 06.08.2018 16:01, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 06.08.2018 15:47, Janosch Frank wrote:

>>> storage keys are right now not dirty tracked (there is no iterator model
>>> for it in QEMU yet, but there were plans to support it - we could use
>>> ordinary dirty tracking for it - pages that are marked dirty either have
>>> dirty page content or dirty storage keys - but it would require some
>>> changes).
>>
>> An iterative approach to skey retrieval, and hence skey dirty tracking,
>> would only gain us something for really big guests that use keys
>> excessively, right?
>
> We migrate them right now as one blob in QEMU (write_keys()) , so an
> iterative approach would allow us to migrate them while the source side
> is still running (and not while it has to be stopped).
>
> We have 8bit/1byte for 4k. So it is 1/4096 of guest memory. A 4TB guest
> with storage keys touched (or touched by some nested guest!) would
> transfer 1GB of storage keys.
>
> But we migrate them only if the guest made use of them, which is already
> a pretty good optimization for recent guests.

A simple yes would have sufficed :-) Also I think we currently do not
filter out 0 keys, which might be a lower hanging fruit to optimize and
might open up the user space/kernel interface for implementing iterative
migration later on.

But when looking at the stages that cmma migration went through and the
fact that we don't want to use skeys at all it once again boils down to
the statement of my last mail: