Re: [patch 3/5] KVM: MMU: add kvm_mmu_shadow_walk helper

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Ah, you're right.

I don't think it's worthwhile to add all this just for debugging. You can add a function that dumps the spte chain as well as the features MSR, and we can decode it by hand when we see it. Disadvantage is more work for us when we hit the bug, but at least that function is reusable in other contexts.

The problem is if someone hits the bug who has no possibility of
reporting the printks. Nice thing about the WARN_ON's there is you can
look up kerneloops.org, match the line number to the kernel version,
and narrow down what bits are wrong (you still need reporter to send
contents of dmesg for full spte value).

Well, we can KERN_WARNING instead of KERN_DEBUG in that printout.

Also the bit-by-bit validity checks (the inspect_spte function in vmx.c)
can be used in the mmu audit code (thats the reason for print=0 in the
callback parameters), so it is reusable in other contexes.

What you dislike is hardcoding the bits checked in C code? Don't worry
about the level stuff, will be handled next.

I just don't want to introduce yet another function-callback pair for such a small thing. No objection to the code itself.

Printing out the spte hierarchy seems a good idea in other bug contexts, so at least that function is reusable.