Re: [RFC][Patch V7 0/7] KVM: Guest Page Hinting

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:18:55AM -0400, nilal@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The following patch-set proposes an efficient mechanism for handing freed memory between the guest and the host. It enables the guests to rapidly free and reclaim memory to and from the host respectively.

So some ideas to consider:
- this interface adds some overhead and must be active at all times,
  since guest boot.  Can't we add a way to go back after the fact and
  request status?
- do we really want to tell host about 4k pages being freed?
  with bigger chunks we won't need to defragment

See Linus' comments on Wei's patch as well.

Hope this helps!