Re: [Autotest] Log message format in KVM-Autotest

----- "Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues" <lmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 11:15 -0700, Martin Bligh wrote:
> > if it's specific to one test or whatever, you could also just put
> it inside the message?

No, because the test's 'shortname' contains both the test type and some
minimal information about the configuration in which it is run.
For example, scsi.smp2.Fedora.8.32.boot, is the KVM 'boot' test run with
Fedora.8.32, with 2 VCPUs and a scsi drive, and with the rest of the
parameters set to their most common values (e.g. the image format is qcow2
unless otherwise stated, the NIC is the default rtl8139...).
'boot' alone is not very informative.

> > Possibly with your own wrapper function around the logging?
>
> Yes, it's a possibility, but I'd rather avoid it. IMHO the current
> logging configuration is a good compromise between verbosity and the
> ability to debug problems on our code.

I would very much like to see the test name, the caller name and the time
in the logs. The KVM test is much more complex than other Autotest tests
and thus requires (in my opinion) more verbose logging. This seems very
reasonable to me. I personally find the logs produced by the new logger
after the merge very difficult to read, and even more difficult to debug.

Since the logging module seems to support most or all of what we need,
I see no reason not to use our own logging config file or our own Handler
and Formatter in the KVM test. I too would rather not resort to wrapper
functions.