Re: Choosing the right KVM version for production on CentOS 5.3

Federico Simoncelli wrote:
Hi all,
I'm trying to switch from xen to kvm. I already successfully installed
and tested kvm-84 on a CentOS 5.3 but before put it in production I'd
like some advices from you:

1) I'm trying to settle and use one version of kvm maybe backporting
some patches when needed. What version do you suggest me to use in a
production environment?

For production, use kvm-kmod-2.6.30-rc8 (and its updates), and qemu-kvm-0.10.5 (and its updates).

2) I'm pretty much confused about kvm-x and qemu-kvm, anyway I used
kvm-84 with no problem and lately I'm testing qemu-kvm 0.10.5 with the
kvm-84 kernel module. Is this combination (kvm-84 kernel module and
qemu-kvm 0.10.5) right? Is there a better one?

kvm-xx are really development snapshots; they undergo testing but they don't get fixes backported. If you are interested in minimal churn and maximum stability, use the combination above.

3) What is the difference between qemu-kvm 0.10.5 (on the kvm
sourceforge site) and qemu 0.10.5. Which one do you suggest me to use
in a production environment?

qemu-kvm-0.10.5 is qemu-0.10.5 with improved kvm integration (for example, smp) and a few additional features. Use qemu-kvm 0.10.5 for best performance and stability.

4) I saw that the rpm packages for CentOS (provided by lfarkas.org)
are based on qemu 0.10.4, is there a reason? is it a very stable
release? I tried to contact Farkas but I had no reply yet.

No idea, I hope the packages will be updated soon.

The last question might be split in a new thread:

5) I tried to use qcow2 images with migration (storing them on gfs)
but the migration fails very frequently (mostly on heavy disk load). I
think the problem is that the new qemu-kvm (the -incoming one) reads
(or tries to read) the qcow2 headers before receiving the full ram
memory image and during the transfer time the qcow2 file get modified
by the old qemu-kvm (the dying one) which flushes the disk cache. Is
anyone else trying to let qcow2 work with migration?

qcow2 works with migration, there might be issues with GFS though. Can you try qemu-kvm 0.10.5 with qcow2 over NFS? If that works for you, we can try to debug the GFS issue.