Restoring VMs without libvirt

Hi,

Is it possible to restore a VM whose state was previously saved with
libvirt/virsh without libvirt on the destination host (i.e. only using
qemu-kvm)? I have been trying by using the "incoming" qemu-kvm flag
with either an open file descriptor or a gzip'd state file (with the
exec option) and have not succeeded.  I am using the exact same flags
that libvirt uses when restoring except for the network configuration
which is slightly different (details below) but I'd say it should not
be causing this issue.

I am aware about the stability issues of using qemu-kvm directly
instead of libvirt but I need a particular network devices
configuration with specific tap devices (-netdev
tap,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,fd=8 8<>/dev/tap2") so, unless I can do this
with libvirt, I need a way to restore a saved VM with qemu-kvm
directly. I would be open to a solution involving saving the state
manually with qemu-kvm to avoid libvirt altogether, I just haven't
managed to figure how to do this.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

/R