Re: Support for ARM

Hi Ajay,

On 05/04/18 08:08, Ajay Garg wrote:
> Just read https://lwn.net/Articles/557132/
> Seems I need to upgrade the kernel ...

32bit arm systems do support KVM provided the CPU supports the virtualisation
extensions,
(and the bootloader starts the kernel in 'HYP' mode).

Your Beaglebone black has a Cortex-A8:
http://www.ti.com/tool/BEAGLEBK

which I'm afraid doesn't have the hardware support KVM needs to run.

(Cortex-A8's list of modes doesn't have HYP:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0344k/Beidabib.html
)

You can still use Qemu to emulate a machine, but it will be slow.

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I actually just ran the following on a beaglebone-black :
>> sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin virtinst bridge-utils cpu-checker
>>
>> The installation went fine, however, kvm.lo is not loaded.

KVM isn't available as a module on arm systems, it has to be built-in at compile
time. Looking for 'KVM' dmesg output, or /dev/kvm would be the best way to
detect it.

Thanks,

James