qemu takes 100% of a core, freezes the VM

Host:  Fedora 26 with all patches on HP Pavilion 4-core 3.2 GHz

VMM 1.4.3

Guest: RHEL 7.4, server with GUI. (also CentOS 7 server with GUI, but never running at the same time as rhel)

Guest invariably freezes, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 45 minutes.  It will not accept any keyboard nor mouse input.  This happens when the only application running in guest is the terminal, but it is not running anything, just waiting for my next command.

VMM shows CPU usage spikes and stays there.  Host htop shows qemu is taking 100% of one core.

From VMM, I can Force Reset or Force Off.  Sometimes the restart works successfully, sometimes I have to quit VMM and kill all qemu PIDs.

Is there any know fix or workaround for this.  I am trying to take RHCSA course, and it is very disruptive to have it freeze in the middle of a session.

Thanks,

--
73 de Jim, KD1YV