Re: Shared value between host and guests

On 2018-01-25 04:29 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:56:26AM -0500, Geneviève Bastien wrote:
>> Thanks for the hint, I didn't know about those. But the uevents are only
>> for the host right? There is no specific value in debugfs for guest.
> I'm not sure I understand the question.
>
> Uevent are emitted on the host.  Given the PID field, it should be
> possible to correlate them to a specific guest (e.g. by looking at
> information from the user or VM management tools, or simply by looking
> at /proc/$PID/cmdline for the QEMU -name argument that can be used to
> identify guests on the host side).
>
> Stefan
With the information from the host and those uevents, we can indeed
easily figure out in our traces which processes are associated with a
guest and get its command line and a lot more information.

The missing piece is in the guest trace. For example, we have lttng
traces taken on the guest and the host. We may have multiple guests and
multiple hosts to trace. It's easy to know which traces are from hosts
from the events, but which are from guests? And which guest trace goes
with which of the kvm processes on which host? The guest trace contains
no information that can be linked to the host.

I was thinking that the guest could do a hypercall to the host after
bootup to share some unique information, for instance its bootid, that
the host could store somewhere. That information would be available in
the traces so that we can easily associate the guest with its host
process and the states of its virtual CPUs to that of the corresponding
threads, and much more.

I hope this describes our need a little better.

Thanks,
Geneviève (tahini on irc)