Re: Networking Problems with Debian Stretch + KVM + old Linux Guest

Am 21.01.2018 um 10:53 schrieb Binarus:
> On 20.01.2018 17:04, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I today upgraded my KVM host from Debian 8 to the latest Debian 9
>> (Stretch). This worked perfectly, however, 2 old guest systems (SuSE
>> 9.1, kernel 2.6.7 / 2.6.5) have no network access.
>>
>> All other machines running on this host are Linux Debian machines and
>> use the "virtio" networking drivere whereas those two old machines use
>> RTL8139 (or e1000, makes no difference).
>>
>> On the guest side, the networking interface (eth0 / rtl8139) is up, it
>> states "Link Up / 100MBit" in the log file, everything looks fine, but I
>> can't get out, no ping, empty arp table etc.
>>
>> Basically, I use bridging for the virtual hosts, this looks like this:
>>
>> br0             8000.0026186273f4       no              eth0
>>                                                         vnet0
>>                                                         vnet1
>>
>> or like so:
>>
>> port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
>>   1     00:00:24:cc:c7:85       no                 0.42
>>   1     00:19:66:b3:cb:34       no                 3.97
>>   1     00:22:b0:cf:04:b2       no                 0.03
>>

>> What is interesting is that I cannot find the MAC Address of the 2
>> machines in the above table, which is probably not good.
>
> I had a similar problem some years ago. In my case, the network in the
> guests generally worked, but was stuttering such extremely that it
> actually could not be used.
>
> After some research, it turned out that I had to assign a MAC address to
> the guests' (virtual) NICs explicitly.
>
> You haven't told us how you configure / start your VMs. I personally
> don't use libvirt and colleagues, but I am starting the VMs from the
> command line. Consequently, I don't know how to assign MAC addresses
> using the high-level configuration tools. What I am doing on the command
> line (as far as it concerns the network) is something like that (please
> imagine the following code to be on one line):
>
> /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64
> [...]
> -device virtio-net-pci,vlan=0,mac=02:01:01:01:02:01
> -net
> tap,vlan=0,name=dax,ifname=dax0,script=/etc/qemu-ifup,downscript=/etc/qemu-ifdown
> [...]
>
> Please note how the MAC address is explicitly assigned. script and
> downscript are just two simple wrappers which add the virtual NIC to an
> existing bridge which connects them with the host and the other VMs.
>
> The disadvantage of this method is that you have to manage the MAC
> addresses yourself (you ultimately must make sure that every VM gets its
> own and that no other device in the world (in practice in most cases: in
> your network) has the same as one of your virtual NICs). The MAC address
> shown above is from the semi-official private MAC address space, so I am
> hopefully out of trouble in this respect.
>
> Please let us know if this solves your problem.

O.k., just got it running - I upgraded the machine from kernel 2.6.7 to
2.6.27 and now it works - also with the rtl8139 driver.

So it seems that networking of QEMU/KVM has some problems with old Linux
kernels - I did not investigate this further, however.

Best Regards and thanks for help,
Hermann

--
hermann@xxxxxxx