Is it possible to pass through the endpoint functionality of a PCIe switch to a guest VM?

Dear experts,

I have a situation where I need guest VM access to the endpoint
functionality of PCIe switches in the PLX (now part of Boradcom) family
(eg. PEX8664).

>From what I have read, KVM does not allow pass through of bridges and
switches, I get that. However, these PLX devices have a significant amount
of endpoint functionality such as GPIO ports, SPI and I2C controllers, and
other control functionality through registers in BAR 0. Some devices in
the family even have general purpose DMA engines.

I need to be able to access these from within a guest VM, however they are
not accessible to be set as pass through because bridges and switches are
prevented from be marked as such.

How can I get around this restriction?

Thanks for any insight or wisdom,

Russ Poffenberger | System Architecture Group
Phone:  +1 / 408 / 635-6049
russell.poffenberger@xxxxxxxxxx
Xcerra Corporation, LTX/Credence Division
880 N. McCarthy Blvd, Suite 100
Milpitas, CA 95035, USA