Re: [RFC/PATCH 19/22] s390/mm: Split huge pages if granular protection is needed

On 07.12.2017 17:32, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 06.11.2017 23:29, Janosch Frank wrote:
>> A guest can put DAT tables for a lower level guest in the same huge
>> segment as one of its prefixes. This would make it necessary for the
>> segment to be unprotected (because of the prefix) and protected
>> (because of the shadowing) at the same time. This is not possible in
>> this universe.
>>
>> Hence we split the affected huge segment, so we can protect on a
>> per-page basis. Such gmap segments are special and get a new software
>> bit, that helps us handling this edge case.
>
> I am thinking about another condition and am not sure yet if it is
> really a problem and already handled by this patch (if so, feel free to
> add it to the description :) ): G2 -> G3 page table and a contained G2
> -> G3 page lying on same G1 huge page

Valid objection, but we (hopefully :) ) got you covered.

We directly split on a pmd protection with the VSIE bit and then
re-drive protection on the pte:

if (((prot != PROT_WRITE) && (bits & GMAP_ENTRY_VSIE))) {
		ret = gmap_pmd_split(gmap, gaddr, pmdp);

The red-rive is a bit ugly because of the EFAULT, but I'm open to
suggestions.