passing FDs across domains

Hi,

I'm looking at what would be the best way for Wayland clients running in a VM to communicate with a Wayland compositor in the host.

The base Wayland protocol is fairly self-contained, with little or no references to objects outside the client and the server, so it lends itself very well to virtualization.

But there's a problem when passing references to pixel buffers around with FD passing, as SCM_RIGHTS isn't currently implemented in AF_VSOCK.

The Wayland project is willing to consider adding AF_VSOCK support to the libwayland libraries alongside existing support for AF_UNIX, both on client and server.

Any opinions on whether adding SCM_RIGHTS support to AF_VSOCK is a good idea? Or other options for letting processes in the host to access shmem buffers allocated within the guest?

Regarding the mechanics of mapping guest buffers in the host, I was hoping the approach described below would work:

http://www.fp7-save.eu/papers/SCALCOM2016.pdf

Thanks,

Tomeu