[Query] [GUEST PAGE HINTING] How to handle virtqueue_kick from the guest in QEMU

Hi,

In my project of "Guest Page Hinting"[1], I have a list of pages which
are supposed to be passed to the host. Now I am trying to figure out the
changes which I should make in QEMU in order to pass this request to the
host.

Unlike virtio balloon where the request to deflate/inflate is derived
from the host, in my case, I need to figure out how the request which is
generated in the guest could be received in QEMU. One way to go about
this is to have my own function pointer pointing a to a function
qemu_page_hinting() in virtio-balloon.c under QEMU. Now the part where I
am not sure is how exactly I will ensure that when virtqueue_kick
arrives in QEMU this function is invoked. (I am planning to use the same
deflate_vq for my use-case).

Another way could be to make changes in the existing
"virtio_balloon_handle_output" and may add another flag in the virtqueue
structure using which I could distinguish if it's a guest page hinting
request. But even in this case, I am not sure how will it work because
from what I understood when a user sends a deflate request then this
function gets invoked and after all the processing it notifies the
guest. (Which is opposite of what I am trying to achieve).

Any suggestion what should be the right way to go forward?

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg153666.html

--

Regards
Nitesh