Re: [RFC] KVM-Autotest: basic parallel test execution

Michael Goldish wrote:
Drawbacks:
- requires some initial work to be done by the user -- the user has to define exactly where each test should run

For me, this is a major drawback. I'd really like a fire-and-forget solution. If I have to spend my own time getting this to work, vs. waiting longer for the tests to run on their own, I'll just be lazy.

- test sets need to be modified when tests or hosts are added/removed, to include/exclude them

This is also annoying -- and likely to stop me from updating.

We'd like to get some feedback on this -- is it usable, comfortable, do you have any suggestions, etc. We'll also be happy to answer questions.
There are no actual patches attached to this message because the implementation is trivial and we want to focus on the user's point of view.

I'd really like this to be automated, just specify a set of machines and have the jobs distributed. Furthermore, it is very important to utilize the existing hosts better. A 4-core 4GB server can easily run a 2x smp 1GB guest and 2 other uniprocessor 1GB guests. It's wasteful to add more servers when the existing servers are underutilized.