RE: KVM & VT-d2?

In both interrupt remapping and no interrupt remapping cases, interrupts from the passthrough device are still delivered to the host kernel.  KVM then injects the interrupt to guest via vlapic->vioapic->vmcs path.

The value add from interrupt remapping is that a new source ID field in interrupt remapping table entry is checked before the interrupt is delivered to the host kernel.  This prevents malicious guests with PCI passthrough devices to generate DOS attacks via DMA writes to the apic area.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fischer, Anna [mailto:anna.fischer@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:12 PM
To: Kay, Allen M
Cc: kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: KVM & VT-d2?

I thought that one use case of VT-d2 interrupt remapping was to be able to safely and more efficiently deliver interrupts to the CPU that runs the particular VCPU of the guest that owns the I/O device that issues the interrupt. Shouldn't there at least be some performance (e.g. latency) improvement doing the remapping and checking in HW with a predefined table rather than multiplexing this in software in the hypervisor layer?