Re: XP smp using a lot of CPU

Hi all,

very very interesting.

I have a similar problem but the other way round.
If my XP runs up tp 100% CPU usage "top" on the linux host reports "only" 33% cpu usage. I would expect around 50% because I only provide one core for the guest. I already increased the process priority of qemu and the io priority, nothing helped. The rest of the CPU is nearly idle, no excessive disk access this time :-)

Any Idea what this could be?

Best regards,

Erik

Ross Boylan wrote:
I just installed XP into a new VM, specifying -smp 2 for the machine.
According to top, it's using nearly 200% of a cpu even when I'm not
doing anything.

Is this real CPU useage, or just a reporting problem (just as my disk
image is big according to ls, but isn't really)?

If it's real, is there anything I can do about it?

kvm 0.7.2 on Debian Lenny (but 2.6.29 kernel), amd64.  Xeon chips; 32
bit version of XP pro installed, now fully patched (including the
Windows Genuine Advantage stuff, though I cancelled it when it wanted to
run).
Task manager in XP shows virtually no CPU useage.

Please cc me on responses.

Thanks for any assistance.