Re: [ANNOUNCE] qemu-kvm-0.10.4

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 22:30 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
> > qemu-kvm-0.10.4 is now available.  This is the first release of the 0.10
> > stable branch of qemu-kvm.  The qemu-kvm 0.10.4 includes all of the
> > features and fixes of qemu-0.10.4, plus adaptations for improved kvm
> > support.
> >
> > Note that qemu-kvm releases do not include the kvm external modules
> > (kvm*.ko); you can use the modules provided by your distribution,
> > modules from the development releases (kvm-xx), or from the kvm-kmod
> > stable branch releases once they become available.
> >
> > As this is the first release of this branch there is no changelog;
> > qemu-kvm-0.10.4 is roughly equivalent (but is not identical) to qemu
> > from kvm-84.
>
> this's the plan? ie. the stable userspace will be about kvm-84?
> what's the plan for kvm-kmod release date and it's also be somewhere ~ 84?

AIUI it, the plan is:

  - There will be stable releases of qemu-kvm in sync with qemu
    upstream releases - e.g. you can expect a qemu-kvm-0.11.0 release
    shortly after qemu-0.11.0 is released

  - There will be no stable releases, as such, of the kernel module.
    You should use upstream linux releases instead - e.g. the latest
    stable release is 2.6.29.2

  - The kvm-XX releases are development snapshots of the kvm.git and
    qemu-kvm.git code

For example, in Fedora, our plan is that we will ship the kvm.ko
included in upstream linux releases and the qemu-kvm stable releases[1].
We may include qemu-kvm from kvm-XX releases during the development of
the next Fedora release, but only as a preview of the next qemu-kvm
stable release.

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/qemu-0.10.4-1.fc11