RE: [RFC 0/3] virtio-iommu: a paravirtualized IOMMU

Usually people draw such layers in reverse order, e.g. hw in the
bottom then kernel in the middle then user in the top. :-)

> (1) a. Guest userspace is running a net driver (e.g. DPDK). It allocates a
>        buffer with mmap, obtaining virtual address VA. It then send a
>        VFIO_IOMMU_MAP_DMA request to map VA to an IOVA (possibly
> VA=IOVA).
>     b. The maping request is relayed to the host through virtio
>        (VIRTIO_IOMMU_T_MAP).
>     c. The mapping request is relayed to the physical IOMMU through VFIO.
>
> (2) a. The guest userspace driver can now instruct the device to directly
>        access the buffer at IOVA
>     b. IOVA accesses from the device are translated into physical
>        addresses by the IOMMU.
>
> Scenario 2: a virtual net device behind a virtual IOMMU.
>
>   MEM__pIOMMU___PCI device                                     HARDWARE
>          |         |
>   -------|---------|------+-------------+-------------------------------
>          |         |      :     KVM     :
>          |         |      :             :
>     pIOMMU drv     |      :             :
>              \     |      :      _____________virtio-net drv      KERNEL
>               \_net drv   :     |       :          / (1a)
>                    |      :     |       :         /
>                   tap     :     |    ________virtio-iommu drv
>                    |      :     |   |   : (1b)
>   -----------------|------+-----|---|---+-------------------------------
>                    |            |   |   :
>                    |_virtio-net_|   |   :
>                          / (2)      |   :
>                         /           |   :                      USERSPACE
>               virtio-iommu dev______|   :
>                                         :
>   --------------------------------------+-------------------------------
>                  HOST                   :             GUEST
>
> (1) a. Guest virtio-net driver maps the virtio ring and a buffer
>     b. The mapping requests are relayed to the host through virtio.
> (2) The virtio-net device now needs to access any guest memory via the
>     IOMMU.
>
> Physical and virtual IOMMUs are completely dissociated. The net driver is
> mapping its own buffers via DMA/IOMMU API, and buffers are copied
> between
> virtio-net and tap.
>

> The description itself seemed too long for a single email, so I split it
> into three documents, and will attach Linux and kvmtool patches to this
> email.
>
> 	1. Firmware note,
> 	2. device operations (draft for the virtio specification),
> 	3. future work/possible improvements.
>
> Just to be clear on the terms I'm using:
>
> pIOMMU	physical IOMMU, controlling DMA accesses from physical
> devices
> vIOMMU	virtual IOMMU (virtio-iommu), controlling DMA accesses
> from
> 	physical and virtual devices to guest memory.

maybe clearer to call controlling 'virtual' DMA access since we're
essentially doing DMA virtualization here. Otherwise I read it
a bit confusing since DMA accesses from physical device should
be controlled by pIOMMU.

> GVA, GPA, HVA, HPA
> 	Guest/Host Virtual/Physical Address
> IOVA	I/O Virtual Address, the address accessed by a device doing DMA
> 	through an IOMMU. In the context of a guest OS, IOVA is GVA.

This statement is not accurate. For kernel DMA protection, it is
per-device standalone address space (definitely nothing to do
with GVA). For user DMA protection, user space driver decides
how it wants to construct IOVA address space. could be a
standalone one, or reuse GVA. In virtualization case it is either
GPA (w/o vIOMMU) or guest IOVA (w/ IOMMU and guest creates
IOVA space).

anyway IOVA concept is clear. possibly just removing the example
is still clear. :-)

> Note: kvmtool is GPLv2. Linux patches are GPLv2, except for UAPI
> virtio-iommu.h header, which is BSD 3-clause. For the time being, the
> specification draft in RFC 2/3 is also BSD 3-clause.
>

> This proposal may be involuntarily centered around ARM architectures at
> times. Any feedback would be appreciated, especially regarding other
> IOMMU
> architectures.

thanks for doing this. will definitely look them in detail and feedback.

Thanks
Kevin