Re: tg3 driver in guest fails for VT-d passthrough NIC

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Nadolski, Ed <Ed.Nadolski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running the KVM kernel & userspace downloaded on 4/24 with Fedora 10 host Linux on a Dell T7400 Xeon with VT-x and VT-d enabled. The T7400 has an onboard Broadcom NIC, but when I use VT-d to assign this NIC to a Fedora 10 guest, the NIC's tg3 driver in the guest aborts because it cannot find the PM Capability in the device's PCI config space.
> So has anyone else seen this, and what is the right way to address it?  It's not good to simply pass thru certain device Capabilities if they cannot be properly handled by KVM/QEMU, but OTOH the unmodified guest OS drivers should not break because they were written to expect certain Capabilities.  Is there any plan to add support for these missing Capabilities?

Yes, I've seen this with bnx2 devices.  For a Linux guest, it's a
fairly trivial change to the driver to not depend on these
capabilities, but it would be far more compatible with existing driver
code out there to make an attempt to support support them in KVM.
AFAIK, it's not being working on yet.

Alex