Re: kvmtool: suggestion for a website and a bugtracker

On 12/01/17 14:49, G. Campana wrote:

Hi,

thanks for taking care!

> As written elsewhere, I think that kvmtool doesn't get all the attention
> it deserves and it might be related to the following personal
> observations. I'm sorry if these topics have already been discussed
> somewhere, but a quick search didn't show up any similar discussion.
>
> The first results for kvmtool on a search engine redirect to the Clear
> Containers' GitHub, while the official git repository is hosted on
> git.kernel.org. Several kvmtool repositories exist on GitHub, and
> telling which repository is the official one is indeed difficult. A
> kvmtool organization even exists on GitHub, but I can't tell if it's
> related to the project.

It seems to be managed by Asias He, one of the original kvmtool
developers, and from what I can tell it follows the kernel.org repo.
He also created http://kvmtool.github.io/, which looks like it aims to
be the webpage you are asking for.

> I personally think that a website (or even a
> single webpage) would be great, at least to provide this piece of
> information.

Yes, that has been brought up before, but apparently nobody had the
energy to push this through.
I think we agreed that a page in the KVM wiki [1] was deemed an easy,
yet useful option. kvm-unit-tests, for instance, which is also a
separate, yet related project, uses this as well [2].
Registering with the Wiki should be easy enough and could actually be
done by anybody.
Since you seem to care ;-), would you mind of giving this a start?
I believe that once _something_ is there, people - including me ;-) -
can more easily contribute.

> Incidentally, I find that reporting issues through e-mail isn't
> convenient (and makes contributions difficult for non-kernel
> developers). It's kind of difficult to know what are the current issues,
> and even know the state of past issues. A bugtracker would definitely be
> a great option in my opinion.

I don't believe that a bugtracker is overly popular with the involved
developers.

> Finally, kvmtool shares the KVM's mailing list. The static HTML pages of
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/ seem to be the only way to browse the
> archive, which is quite painful.

I agree that this is quite painful, though not something kvmtool people
would solve. Having a proper archive for the kvm list would be a more
worthwhile solution, I guess.

> Originally, it made sense to have a
> single mailing list for KVM and kvmtool since they both were part of the
> Linux kernel. kvmtool is now an independent userland project and I
> wonder if a separate mailing list wouldn't be more convenient.

I am not sure if that's worth it. Posts about kvmtool are very rare at
the moment, so the list would be mostly orphaned, with only a small
number of people subscribed, so people would CC: kvm@vger as well ...
And given that we don't even manage to get a webpage up and running, I
would at least re-prioritize this.

Cheers,
Andre

Though the wiki seems to be down at the moment:
[1] http://www.linux-kvm.org/
[2] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KVM-unit-tests