CPU HOTPLUG

Hello,

I am trying to hot plug and hot(un)plug vCPU to a KVM guest. At the
fallowing link, I found out we can hotplug vCPUs on the run time with "cpu
add" but the hot(un)plug is still in progress. Is there any update on it.
Can we use device add/remove for CPUs?
http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/CPUHotplug

Also, I also find out that we can use virsh (libvirt) to add and remove
vCPUs on the fly but I think it is just putting vCPU to sleep or wake up.
Is it a good method to change CPU numbers or will it be  performance
overhead such as does sleeping vCPUs get any time  on the host, are those
get scheduled?

Thank you, Happy new year,
Ozgur