Re: inter-vm shared memory (ivshmem) documentation

On 22-Apr-09, at 5:23 PM, Valdir Stumm Junior wrote:

Hi all,

I need a mechanism to share memory between my kvm guests to use at an
intrusion tolerance project. I found the Inter-VM Shared Memory
(ivshmem) device driver posted in this mailing list. I am trying to
install and use it, but I have some questions.

Is there a documentation (like a roadmap) about how to put ivshmem
device driver to work and how to test it?

Hi Valdir,

Documentation is under development. I have some simple test programs that I can supply when you get it up and running. As well as boot scripts to create the /dev file.

I've compiled the patched kernel with ivshmem enabled as a module.
Now, I'm running kvm over this kernel. So, what is the next step?

I've tried this on my kvm guests:
num =`cat /proc/devices | grep kvm_ivshmem | awk '{print $1}`
mknod --mode=666 /dev/ivshmem $num 0
But, the /proc/devices file has no reference to kvm_ivshmem.

Are you running the patched kernel on the host or in the guest. It's meant to run in the guest.

Cam

A. Cameron Macdonell
Ph.D. Student
Department of Computing Science