Re: X58 Virtualization w/ Linux

Hello Yang,

To add to this, a list of mandatory packages would be helpful as well (like if I need some additional virtio- packages). Thank you,

Steve Novakov
B.A.Sc Engineering Physics
PhD Student - Physics
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

On 6/11/2016 9:55 PM, Steve Novakov wrote:
Hello Yang,

allow_unsafe_interupts actually means the interrupt remapping on Intel IOMMU which is a security feature. Without it, a malicious VM can attack the host, see below document for more details: http://invisiblethingslab.com/resources/2011/Software%20Attacks%20on%20Intel%20VT-d.pdf

Should I take that to mean that "allow_unsafe_interrupts" is actually a security feature??? Is this the discussed "interrupt remapping" in the whitepaper? I am interpreting that paper as saying that this interrupt remapping does *not* use the supplied DMAR table. Is that correct?

Also, you can try to upgrade your BIOS to fix it.

I'll take a look but I think I have the latest (which means, from ~2011 probably) BIOS version.

Could I also ask you outright what entire set of boot options you would pass when booting into a kvm system with IOMMU enabled? I would love some "default" set of boot options to compare to, as opposed to random ones from assorted forums.

Thank you for the prompt reply!