Re: Converting from VirtIO to another disk controller

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 05:45:15PM -0400, Larry Martell wrote:
> I have a CentOS VM with a VirtIO disk controller and I need to port
> that to Virtual Box on a Mac. But Vbox does not support VirtIO, only
> IDE, SATA, or SCSI. Is there a way to convert the VirtIO VM to one of
> those disk controllers?

Yes, depending on how the CentOS VM is configured you may be able to
simply change the storage controller from virtio-blk to SATA.  Both QEMU
and VirtualBox support SATA.  The key thing is to use disk/file system
labels instead of hardcoding device paths into configuration files like
/etc/fstab.  This solves the problem that the VM fails to boot when a
device is renamed.

You will probably find that the VM boots successfully if you change from
virtio-blk to SATA.

By the way, VirtualBox does support virtio-net so it's not generally
true that VirtualBox doesn't support virtio.  It would be more correct
to explicitly say "virtio-blk" instead of just "virtio" so that people
reading this discussion don't take away the wrong idea.

Stefan