Re: kvm-84: Nested virtualization, crashes, and kvm binary name

  Hi Alex,

Alexander Graf wrote:
>>  So question #1: Is this the right thing to start, and if yes, what's
>> the story behind that name? I ran across some qemu-system-i386 on
>> google, but my compile did not produce such a binary.
>
> Yes, the binary is called "qemu-system-x86_64". The story behind all
> this is somewhere in the archive of this ML.

  Yeah, I had already checked that out before I posted, but what I found
only seems to clarify the difference between qemu-<arch> and
qemu-system-<arch>. What baffles me most is why the heck does it
generate a x86_64 target on a i686 system?!

  Or has KVM dropped support for 32-bit x86 as a guest platform
altogether, relying on x86_64's legacy/compatibility mode? That would
make sense, but on the other hand it could mislead into thinking that
you can run a 64-bit guest on it, which wouldn't work when the host is
actually 32-bit (like in my case). Or do I miss something here?

> This will probably go away
> when qemu and kvm-userspace merge some day.

  I actually thought that had already happened, after I read the
changelog for kvm-84. Now I see that I must have interpreted "merge
qemu-svn" the other way round as it was meant :-)

> I guess filing a bug on the kvm sourceforge bug tracker is the best
> thing to do here.

  Makes sense. Done.

> You need to load the module with nested=1 (you did that) to enable
> nested virtualization support in the kvm kernel module.
> Now the second thing you need to do is pass -enable-nesting to
> qemu-system-x86_64 in order to enable nesting support in the userspace
> part too.

  Yeah, later I stumbled across your posting with the patches for that
feature, and it says the same there. Sorry for "asking before reading".

> I agree that this is not exactly obvious, but I wanted to guard the code
> as heavily as possible :-).

  Guard it? Is that still experimental? I thought this was enabled by
default...

  Actually it would have been more obvious if there was a manpage
documenting that. However, my build did not produce any manpages,
although the configure script said "Manual directory /usr/local/share/man".

  Even if so, I think that needing to set the module parameter
explicitly is enough of a safeguard. Apropos parameter, I'd rather name
it something more self-explanatory like "nested_virt" or "nested_svm" or
something. Most people, including me, usually associate "nested" with
NPT, when it comes to virtualization.

  And while we are at parameters, kvm-intel.ko's enable/disable
parameters are bool, which actually makes more sense. I think it
wouldn't hurt to make that consistent across modules, i.e. either turn
amd's to bool, or intel's to int.

> Also, keep in mind that for now only KVM in KVM works for me. Getting
> for example Xen running should be definitely doable - it just didn't
> work for me last time I tried. Speed is not exactly great yet either.

  After I "discovered" the -enable-nesting thing, I tried it and it
worked fine. More precisely, I was able to start another guest within
the guest, and it ran OK in text mode. As soon as it booted gdm, it
hanged. I used the cirrus vga for the nested guest. The (outer) guest
was a standard Debian Lenny, so the nested guest used the kvm version
shipped with that, which is kvm-72. That actually shouldn't matter, but
who knows...

  At that point, I somehow managed to shoot off the sshd, since I was
doing that over SSH to my university machine. Now the remote machine
seems to run, but the SSH daemon is down. Thus, I cannot reconnect to
make further tests. Due to Easter holidays, I have no physical access to
the machine right now, so I will be able to follow up on the matter from
Tuesday onwards.

  Btw, SDL performance over SSH X-forwarding just plain sucks, even on a
100MBit network. VNC is a bit better, but there I have an issue with a
"double mouse pointer", having the local one as a black dot and the
remote one the usual way, and they get terribly out of sync all the
time. It's an enormous PITA! Do you experience that too? It happens here
no matter how I set the "render mouse pointer locally" setting in xvnc.

> Please tell me how it works for you!

  Sure, as soon as I get my hands back on my university machine.

  And until then, Happy Easter :-)

  Greets,

  Mike