Booting Nested KVM

Hello,

I am a student at Columbia University. My research partner Andy (CC'd)
and I are working on booting a nested KVM virtual machine on x86.
However, we have run into a problem that we have not been able to fix.

The host machine, L0, has the 'kvm-intel.nested=1'  flag set in it's
grub config file, and the guest operating system, L1, does not
complain when attempting to start a VM using virt-install.

When we attempt to actually install, we run into a couple of issues.
When we run virt-install, using the command:

virt-install -r 1024 --accelerate -n Ubu \
-f /var/lib/libvirt/images/guest.img \
--cdrom /root/ubuntu-14.04.2-server-amd64.iso

We receive the error message

Could not start virtual network default

In order to get around this error message, we run pass the nonetworks flag:

virt-install -r 1024 --accelerate --nonetworks -n Ubu \
-f /var/lib/libvirt/images/guest.img \
--cdrom /root/ubuntu-14.04.2-server-amd64.iso

At this point, the install seems to succeed, and the nested VM starts
to boot. However, we cannot see any output at all - the console hangs,
and we cannot type anything into the console at this point. If we open
a new console, and run virt-viewer, we get what appears to be an
ubuntu login screen, but the text is unreadable (blurry and pixelated)
and again, we cannot type anything into this window. The virt-manager
gui seems to indicate that this guest does have activity, which makes
it seem strange that we are unable to communicate with it in any way.

Is there something we have missed? Do we have to specify IO in some special way?

Thanks,
Jacob Graff