Re: What time is it kvm-clock?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 09:02:16AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Radim Krčmář <rkrcmar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > 2016-02-24 19:50-0800, Owen Hofmann:

>> > Running NTP only on the host is a good reason.
>> > (And probably the only reason I'd call good, because any software that
>> >  passes TSC or CLOCK_MONOTONIC timestamps between hosts needs to handle
>> >  their differences.)
>>
>> There are handful of distributed algorithms that benefit from clocks
>> with a bounded worst-case synchronization error.  I think that Google
>> uses some.  If some cloud provider were to provide, say, 10ms max
>> CLOCK_REALTIME error and pass CLOCK_REALTIME through using kvm-clock,
>> it could be quite useful.
>>
>> --Andy
>
> Why would you want to do that again?
> To fix the suspend/resume problem?

No.  Any clock that matches one of the host POSIX clocks would solve
the suspend/resume problem.

This is for distributed algorithms.  If I know that no participant is
more than 10ms different from me, then I can take a timestamp, wait
10ms, and then I know that no participant will subsequently get a
later timestamp.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski