Re: questions about kvm test

2016-02-24 17:45+0800, Zhu Yijun:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am getting start with kvm, and interest in kvm auto test. Currently I have found two related projects, one is kvm-unit-tests, and the other is avocado-vt.
>
>   So my question is:
>
>   1) If there is relationship between above two test suite?

They have different goals, but it makes sense to run kvm-unit-tests
inside avocado.

kvm-unit-tests is a collection of single-purpose guests that test some
parts of KVM (the kernel).  kvm-unit-tests also contain a simple
framework to let you run those guests without hassle.

avocado-vt is a module for avocado testing framework that allows you to
conveniently automate tests about and inside guests.  avocado-vt also
collects tests for guest that run on KVM.

>   1)                                                        We should use them alone or together?

If you would be using avocado anyway, then it's a good idea to run
kvm-unit-tests from it, instead of running them separately.

(I presume that you'll run something, like jenkins, on top of avocado,
 so having just one set of results will be simpler.)

>   2) Is there any other kvm test suite available?

That depends on what you count and what you actually want to test.
Working with KVM guests is testing KVM. :)

Virtualization mostly emulates real hardware, so pretty much any
hardware test suite is worthwhile and other components in your virt
stack (QEMU, libvirt, ...) have a specialized test suites that also
exercise KVM.

AFAIK avocado(-vt) is the latest try at THE testing framework, so using
it should be more convenient than writing your own framework to test a
huge cartesian product of variables that KVM+QEMU+libvirt+... provides.

>   2)                                              And which one is mainly used at present?

I guess that developers mostly use the test suite for their project or
custom tests/benchmarks that cover their current work.

Autotest maybe still is the most popular framework, but avocado
obsoletes it.

Btw. the avocado team will be able to provide much better information.