WG: KVM performance

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: BRAUN, Stefanie
Gesendet: Montag, 6. April 2009 18:25
An: 'Avi Kivity'
Betreff: AW: KVM performance

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Avi Kivity [mailto:avi@xxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Montag, 6. April 2009 13:45
An: BRAUN, Stefanie
Cc: kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: KVM performance

BRAUN, Stefanie wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> as I want to switch from XEN to KVM I've made some performance tests
> to see if KVM is as peformant as XEN. But tests with a VMU that
> receives a streamed video, adds a small logo to the video and streams
> it to a client have shown that XEN performs much betten than KVM.
> In XEN the vlc (videolan client used to receive, process and send the
> video) process
> within the vmu has a cpuload of 33,8 % whereas in KVM the vlc process
> has a cpuload of 99.9 %.
> I'am not sure why, does anybody now some settings to improve the KVM
> performance?

Is this a tcp test?

Can you test receive and transmit separately?

Hello,

it's a "transcoder" test, but without transcoding between video formats, the vmu just adds a logo (a watermark) into the video.

At the same time the vmu performed several actions:
- receiving a streamed video via udp
- adding a logo to the video
- sending the streamed video via udp

But I think I can split up the test into the following subtests and provide further performance values Sub test 1 receive:  - Receiving the video from network (udp) and saving locally Sub test 2 transmit: - Reading the video from local ressource and sending via network Sub test 3 process:  - Reading the video from local ressource, adding the logo to the video stream and saving it again locally.