Re: CPU Limits on KVM?

> I'm interested in limiting the io bandwidth of network and disk as well.
> (dm-ioband - any experience with that? other suggestions?)
I tested/used normal linux traffic shaping for this (htb.init to be
exact). It works at least with bridges (-net tap...).

> I used top, atop and system monitoring GUI on the host and on the guest
> for monitoring. Was able to load VM1 to use more than 50%...

I think usage will go above the limit as long as there is free  CPU
cycles. How about trying this:
- two VMs, once core each
- bind your VM processes to certain core on host using taskset
- use cgroups you described
- run something that uses lots of CPU (cpuburn) on both VMs

Now you should see that lower priority VM gets only its share. And if
you stop CPU hog process in higher priority VM, lower priority will
get more (ie. no hard limit).