kvm-84 + virtio Ubuntu Hardy guests

Howdy kvm-

I'm receiving a heavy volume of Ubuntu Jaunty Beta users reporting
that Jaunty hosts running kvm-84 (userspace and kernel) are not able
to boot previously-working Hardy guests (2.6.24 kernel) if virtio
networking is enabled [1].  Users report that if e1000 is used
instead, the guest is able to boot (with degraded network performance,
obviously).  Users are also reporting that this was not a problem when
kvm-82 was used in Jaunty (though we also merged libvirt 0.5.1 up to
0.6.0 in roughly the same timeframe).

It's unclear to me, at this point, if this is a kvm or libvirt
problem.  I personally have not been able to reproduce this problem
with kvm alone.

However, I'm curious if anyone else here is familiar with this issue,
or has seen something similar?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm/+bug/331128

Thanks,
--