Re: More vcd info wanted

Ryan Harper wrote:
* Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> [2009-03-30 15:51]:
I am looking for detailed information or a single reproducible example of starting a VM using the qemu-kvm command from a script under Linux (and a display script on a control host, obviously). What software needs to be installed and running on the host, and what needs to be on the remote accessing display.

Please: this is not a question about doing something else using some other method, I need to be able to drop a disk image and a few parameters into a KVM host and start it in such a way that there is not human intervention nor previous preparation such as virt-manager or similar.

I run desktops and servers under KVM using both command line start and managers, I just keep running into documentation which tells me to use a "vnc specifier" without explanation of what that might look like or a single reproducible example of same.

-vnc localhost:1 -- will display the guest VGA display on the localhost.
A remote system can do:

vncviewer ${kvmhost}:1
to view the guest VGA.

Thanks, will try later tonight. Have to have a bit of care getting the number right (unique) since there might be more than one of these, but this may be all I need.

The host will be given a disk image and some parameters such as MAC address and memory size, and the machine which will have the display. That's my starting point, KVM host info will be used to start the viewer on another machine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>