Re: virtio assisted migration

On 10/28/15 at 10:27am, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 05:21:01PM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
> > * block device
> > For block storage migration, the problem is similar as memory. The original
> > migration does not consider storage usage ratio it just copy all the sectors.
>
> This is equivalent to issuing discard requests.  File systems can
> already do that.
>
> The block/mirror.c code checks if sectors are allocated so this should
> be possible to achieve this today (with guest cooperation).

Yes, I did using hole punching in my code, I remember I did it on top of some
old thread from Christoph Hellwig about puncing hole, not sure if they have been
merged in qemu upstream.

I lost my original patch thus I just put tarballs on the website, but seems I
successfully generated the diff with official qemu-kvm-0.13.0.

I have just put the hack patch of qemu to the url:
http://people.redhat.com/ruyang/kvm/qemu-kvm-patches/qemu-kvm-0.13.0-block-migration-sparse.patch
Another two patches for virtio qemu host side to work stay same directory as
 well.

Thanks
Dave