video/GPU passthrough, second monitor, shared keyboard/mouse

Hi all,

I'm looking at a setup that involves a Linux host and a non-Linux VM
under KVM, on a workstation for a power-user.

The non-Linux VM would have a dedicated video card/GPU, to maximize
compatibility and performance for certain applications.

It may be possible to interact with the VM using SPICE but it is
possible to just have a second monitor for it too.

So my questions are:

- Does all this make sense?

- How to share the keyboard and mouse between the host and the VM?  E.g.
should I just use Synergy or x2vnc or is there a nicer solution with KVM
or qemu?

- are any other free software solutions (e.g. VirtualBox, Xen) likely to
be better or worse for such a project?

Regards,

Daniel