Re: XP machine freeze

On 31/03/15 14:29, Saso Slavicic wrote:
From: Brad Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:28 AM

If someone could give me some hard tests to do along the lines of what
Saso is up to I could probably get that done faster. With the right
bad kernel I can reproduce this lockup in a matter of hours.
Hi,

My machine usually (but not always) locks during backup. At around 3AM, a
samba machine (a kvm machine on the same server actually) cifs mounts C$ and
starts copying files off of it. The last stacktrace also shows network code.
Is your machine actively working over network (sharing files)?

Better than that, it's recording h264 rtsp streams from 3 CCTV cameras, so there is a constant network load of about 1.5-2MB/s (bytes not bits). Come to think of it, out of the 3 XP VM's I have that are an identical config and actually come from the same qcow2 base image this is the one that hits the network hard. The other 2 hardly touch the network.

virtio network interface. I can get it to lock up in hours with the right kernel, and repeat lockups after unlocking it with virt-viewer are usually less than an hour at most.

My issue is my first bisect proved to be inconclusive, and the second one is about 3 steps from done, but there are no kvm commits in the current set under investigation.

I *know* that 3.15.6 was good as I ran that kernel for months, it all started when I upgraded to a 3.18 and I think I've narrowed it down, but like I said the bisects are just not falling out as plausible, and at 5 days for a good and up to 24 hours for a bad it's slow going.

I'll finish this bisect and then have a crack at the good/bad range suggested by Paolo. The issue is being a production box I have to schedule the re-boots.

I'm just not sure bisection is the right answer to tracking this down. I just don't have the background to know what to poke to try and debug this any other way.

Regards,
Brad

--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them