Re: Windows 7 guest installer does not detect drive if physical partition used instead of disk file.

On 3/23/15, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have CCed the libvirt mailing list, since KVM is a component here but
> your question seems to be mainly about libvirt, virt-manager,
> virt-install, etc.

Apologies for posting to the wrong list, I assumed it would be KVM
related as the guest could run but could not see the drive.

More information
1. install guest with /dev/sdxx as virtio device (the problem case)
- installer does not see any drive
- load drivers on Redhat virtio "cdrom"
- installer still does not see any drive

2. Install guest with qcow2 disk file as virtio device
- as previous scenario but installer see drives after installing drivers

3. install guest with qcow2 disk file as IDE device
- complete installation
- add /dev/sdxx as virtio disk
- goto Windows Device Manager and update virtio driver for unknown controller
- Windows see /dev/sdxx after driver installed

> It sounds like you want an NTFS partition on /dev/sda.  That requires
> passing the whole /dev/sda drive to the guest - and the Windows
> installer might overwrite your GRUB Master Boot Record.  Be careful when
> trying to do this.

Yes, I wanted to give Windows its own native partition that could be
read directly if I had to yank the disk and put it into a Windows
machine. Is this why #3 works but not #1? That as long as I want to
install Windows directly to an NTFS partition on/dev/sda, it is
required that I pass the whole drive to Windows?